Friday, August 16, 2013

Happy Birthday!

Today, my oldest son, Isaiah, turns seven. I can't believe how fast these seven years have passed. I remember the day he was born, and all of the drama that accompanied his birth.

I was in Charlotte when my wife went into labor. I had left my phone charger at home here in Weaverville and my phone was charging in my car. I worked for MEDIC in Charlotte and had an apartment for the nights I worked there consecutively. So, she called MEDIC and had a unit sent to my house to wake me up. I answered the door and thought they were playing a joke on me, so I went back to bed not thinking to check my phone. I woke up about 45 minutes later in a panic and went to check my phone. Yep, I had about 100 missed calls and texts. I called Candice and she was at the hospital with her parents. I doubt anyone has ever traveled as quickly from Charlotte to Asheville as I did that night. I made it just in time. My wife's labor pain was almost unbearable and she had refused an epidural until I arrived. They came in and gave her the epidural and a short while later I held this beautiful baby boy in my arms.

I was 22 at the time and was scared out of my mind. All of the responsibilities and questions were flooding my mind. This little 6 pound baby was overly intimidating. I also had never fallen in love with anything so quickly as I did that morning. I felt so proud of my son and in an instant there came a love that I had never felt before. I also, at that moment, came to the realization of the depth of the love of God for us and the absolute sacrifices He made on our behalf because He loved us, His creation.

I since have had two more children and have come to the realization that to be a successful father means to expect the unexpected and just be there for my kids. That may mean sleeping all day on your birthday because your daughter broke her arm the night before and you spent the night in the emergency room, or sitting in the floor with them laughing and playing, or just listening to them when they want to chat your ears off or when something is bothering them. One of the most rewarding things in my life is being a father.

I feel sorry for the dads that aren't there for their kids. They miss out on so much and the chance to watch their children grow up to be amazing. They also miss out on the chance to be changed by their kids. I haven't always been a great dad and I previously worked a lot, but since have seen that all the money in the world doesn't matter if you are missing out on your kids' lives and not taking care of your marriage the way you should.

Isaiah has taught me so much, and he has been there with me and for me even when he was so little and my life was destructing. He also was there for us when Candice and I picked up the pieces and restored our marriage. He's my helper and my buddy. He has a huge heart and is always ready to serve and help out. He's matured so much lately and I can't even begin to tell you how much he has been a great big brother to Makenna and Hayden. I love watching him frolic in the yard, or play around other kids always protecting his siblings. I love to watch how his brother looks up to him. He's very intelligent and does so well in school. I'm just a proud daddy who's a little sappy right now.

Today, he is 7 and will enter the 2nd grade on Wednesday. He's grown up so quickly. He's one super cool kid.

Happy birthday buddy! I love you and I am very proud of the little dude you are!

--Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment