Thursday, May 8, 2014

A New Commandment I Give You

Those words the Rabbi spoke. The ears of the disciples perked up as they knew this would be important. Torah was the law, Torah was everything and to add a commandment took authority. Of course, they had the One with as much authority as you will find giving them this new commandment. These words are important. For me, and for you. "Love one another, as I have loved you, love one another. By doing this, the world will know that you are my followers; love one another."  It seems simple and the disciples were probably shocked at how easy that commandment was. Then, they had to actually do it and I'm guessing they soon had an epiphany. It was probably easier for them to obey all of the first 10 commandments than this one. 

This is a story of that scripture being lived out. I'm very proud of Isaiah, my oldest. Yesterday, he told me he gave his snack to another boy at school who didn't have a snack because he never has snacks and was hungry. This morning, while I was packing his lunch, he asked if I could put an extra snack in his lunchbox so he could give it to the boy at snack time. I told him bring me another one and he did. He was so excited that boy would have a snack again today. It reminded me that loving people is what it's all about. It may not be easy, and sometimes you would rather throat punch them. You may miss out on your own snack and it may inconvenience you. But not only does it have an impact on them, it impacts you just as much. That is why Christ gave us the commandment to love one another, just like He loves us. With mercy, compassion and grace. No strings attached, arms wide open kind of love. John 13:34

No comments:

Post a Comment